Figuring out the ins and outs of Excel is important for organizing knowledge, understanding analytics, and getting probably the most out of your advertising and marketing efforts. The device is nice for shortly processing huge quantities of information, however it may be overwhelming in case you do not spend the vast majority of your workday whipping up spreadsheets.
Thankfully, a number of primary expertise are all you want to put collectively an easy-to-read spreadsheet. One is figuring out methods to merge cells in Excel. Whether or not you are planning weblog articles for the upcoming quarter, creating an e mail listing for a focused marketing campaign, or designing Search engine optimization-friendly Google adverts, merging cells is a useful option to arrange your info.
To sharpen your expertise, we’ll cowl a number of methods to mix cells.
Do not need to begin from scratch? Use these free Excel templates as a basis on your personal advertising and marketing spreadsheets.
Methods to Merge Two Cells in Excel
Merging is a option to flip two small cells into one new, giant cell. That is helpful for organizing info and creating headers, with out the necessity to resize particular person cells. This is methods to do it.
Step 1: Spotlight the 2 adjoining cells you need to merge (I am merging A1 and B1 within the instance).
Step 2: Beneath the Residence tab, click on the ‘Merge’ icon and select ‘Merge Cells’.
Step 3: That is it! You have merged the cells.
Observe: When combining cells, solely the information within the higher left cell is saved. Ensure to save lots of the data from the opposite cell so it is not misplaced. When you occur to have knowledge in each A1 and B1, Excel will not merely wipe it. This alert will pop up:
Do not need to delete the information? Click on ‘Cancel,’ and replica/paste the data right into a separate doc or cell earlier than merging. When you solely want the data within the upper-left cell, click on ‘OK’ to merge the cells.
Methods to Merge and Middle Cells in Excel
Say you are constructing a advertising and marketing report and need your titles to be centered above your knowledge. Merge and middle cells by following these steps.
Step 1: Spotlight the cells you need to merge.
Step 2: Beneath the Residence tab, click on the ‘Merge’ icon and select ‘Merge & Middle.’
Step 3: Your cells will merge and the information shall be centered inside the cell.
Methods to Merge Cells in Excel Shortcut
Clicking the right ‘Merge’ operate time and again could be a drag if you want to mix plenty of cells. For quick merging, begin by highlighting the cells you need to merge. Then, sort the next key combos.
Excel Shortcuts for Home windows
- Merge Cells: ALT H+M+M
- Merge & Middle: ALT H+M+C
- Merge Throughout: ALT H+M+A
- Unmerge Cells: ALT H+M+U
Excel Shortcuts for OS
The Apple working system does not have an ALT key, so you need to arrange your individual shortcut to merge cells.
- In Excel, click on ‘Instruments’ below the navigation bar.
- Choose ‘Customise Keyboard.’
- A pop-up will seem. Beneath the header ‘Specify a Command’ there are two columns: Classes and Instructions. For Classes, choose ‘Residence Tab.’ For Instructions, choose ‘Merge Cells.’
- Choose the textual content field below ‘Press new keyboard shortcut.’ Kind the important thing mixture on your shortcut. For instance: CONTROL+M.
- Click on ‘OK’ to set your shortcut.
- Now you can use CONTROL+M to merge cells in Excel.
- Arrange extra shortcuts for Merge Throughout, Merge & Middle, or Unmerge.
Methods to Merge A number of Cells in Excel
You understand the fundamentals, however now you need to get inventive and merge greater than two cells. Relying in your desired spreadsheet format, you should use the Merge Throughout, Merge Cells, or Merge & Middle operate.
1. Merge Throughout
This feature is used to merge cells inside a single row. You’ll be able to’t use ‘Merge Throughout’ to mix cells inside a column or throughout a number of rows.
On this instance, I am organising PPC adverts and need to see my description copy in row 17. If I merely resize column F, my desk could have an excessive amount of house between column F and G. Merging a number of cells throughout row 17 lets me see the copy and hold the desk neat.
Step 1: Spotlight all of the cells you need to merge inside the row.
Step 2: Beneath the Residence tab, click on the ‘Merge’ icon and select ‘Merge Throughout.’
Step 3: The cells merge throughout your complete highlighted space.
2. Merge & Middle
You’ll be able to merge and middle a number of cells throughout rows and down columns. Simply bear in mind the information within the upper-left cell is the one info that may keep as soon as merged. Within the instance beneath, I exploit ‘Merge & Middle’ to mix rows 15, 16, and 17 with columns F, G, and H.
3. Merge Cells
The ‘Merge Cells’ operate is good to mix a number of adjoining cells throughout rows and columns. It really works identical to the ‘Merge & Middle’ operate, besides the information shall be left-aligned as an alternative of centered after merging.
Methods to Merge Cells in Excel With out Shedding Knowledge
Need to merge cells with out dropping info from all however the higher left cell? Simple. You need to use the ampersand (&) or the CONCATENATE operate to mix knowledge from two or extra cells.
Within the instance beneath, I am creating copy for Instagram and need to mix the caption with its corresponding hyperlink.
Step 1: Select the cell the place you need to put the merged knowledge. Ensure that is separate from the cells you are merging.
Step 2: Kind = within the clean cell and choose the primary cell to mix.
Step 3: Kind & and use ” ” to go away an area between cell knowledge.
Step 4: Kind & once more earlier than selecting the subsequent cell. Repeat for all of the cells you need to mix. An instance method is =D5&” “&E5.
Step 5: Hit Enter. Within the instance, you’ll be able to see how the textual content from cells D5 and E5 merged into F5.
CONCATENATE or CONCAT
The CONCATENATE operate (or CONCAT) is one other option to mix two or extra textual content strings collectively.
The method in Excel is =CONCATENATE (text1,text2,…). Text1 is the primary cell to merge and could be a textual content worth, quantity, or cell reference. Text2 is the subsequent merchandise to affix. For this operate, you’ll be able to merge as much as 255 gadgets or 8,192 characters.
Step 1: Spotlight a brand new clean cell the place you need to merge the information.
Step 2: Within the method bar, sort =CONCATENATE(
Step 3: A method builder will pop up, permitting you to decide on Text1, Text2, and so forth. Choose the cells you need to merge, so as from first to final. To incorporate areas between the cell knowledge, it’s essential to embrace ,” “, inside the method. [i.e. =CONCATENATE(D5,” “,E5)]
Step 4: Hit Enter. The information out of your chosen cells shall be mixed within the CONCATENATE cell.
Why Cannot I Merge Cells in Excel?
Loads can go flawed in case your method or formatting is not arrange appropriately. When you’re struggling to merge cells, attempt these troubleshooting ideas.
- Make sure you’re not actively enhancing a cell you need to merge. The ‘Merge’ icon shall be shaded out in case you’re in the midst of making modifications. To repair this, merely hit ‘Enter’ to cease enhancing or click on onto one other cell earlier than clicking again to the cell you’d prefer to merge.
- Examine if one of many cells is a part of an Excel desk. Tables have a novel format that do not permit merging. You’ll be able to inform you’re on a Desk if the ‘Chart Design’ or ‘Format’ tabs throughout the highest of your workbook are highlighted in inexperienced and the ‘Merge’ icon is shaded out.
- Have a look at the sharing permissions of the Excel workbook. If it is not shared with you or is protected, you will not be capable to make any modifications or merge cells.
Methods to Unmerge Cells
Perhaps you bought just a little excited making an attempt out your new expertise and merged one cell too many. Do not panic. Merely unmerge your cells by following these steps.
- Spotlight the cells you need to unmerge.
- Beneath the Residence tab, click on the ‘Merge’ icon and select ‘Unmerge Cells.’
- Your cells will return to the unique formatting, however you’ll have misplaced the data from earlier than the merge.
- When you want that info, click on ‘Command’ + Z (OS) or ‘CTRL’ +Z (Home windows) to undo your actions till you see the information pop up.
Excel Shortcuts Make Life Simpler
Whereas utilizing spreadsheets can really feel intimidating at first, with the information and shortcuts above, you may have it down very quickly.
Editor’s observe: This text was initially printed in Might 2021 and has been up to date for comprehensiveness.